Veterans Education Benefits

Veterans of the US Armed Forces may contact Carnegie Mellon University's Certifying Official to receive more information about veteran's education benefits or to arrange an appointment to discuss eligibility.  All students who receive benefits from the VA must notify the Certifying Official and VA Liaison for Heinz College and Carnegie Mellon, Mike Danko. Veterans can contact Mike by email at URO VA Ed Benefits to get more information about the programs, for help in applying for benefits or to arrange an appointment to discuss your VA benefits. Documents may be faxed to Mike at 412-268-6381.

Carnegie Mellon University's Certifying Official works closely with the CMU's Office of Financial Aid and the Heinz College to determine the amount of each veteran's eligibility.

Veterans Benefits

Eligible veterans first enrolling in the Heinz College in the 2016-2017 academic year have maximum Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits of $21,970.46 per year. The amount of a veteran's eligibility is limited by factors such as:

  • when the student first began enrollment in his/her academic program
  • the amount of eligible costs (may include tuition or net tuition, fees, and Carnegie Mellon health insurance) and/or
  • whether the student has been awarded an institutional scholarship and whether such scholarship is designated for the sole purpose of paying tuition and fees

Yellow Ribbon Program     

Carnegie Mellon University's H. John Heinz III College is a Yellow Ribbon participant. Veterans must have 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility in order to participate. Once an individual student's eligibility is determined by the VA certifying official at Carnegie Mellon, the Office of Financial Aid Office at Heinz determines the amount of Yellow Ribbon eligibility by subtracting the amount of the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits eligibility from the student's actual costs of tuition, fees, and university health insurance, limited by an institutional maximum participation amount determined annually.

U.S. Military Veterans Scholarship

U.S. Military Veterans who are not receiving 100% tuition benefits through the US Department of Veterans Affairs are eligible to receive a scholarship of up to 25% of tuition costs (students can be awarded additional scholarship support above and beyond this particular award by the admissions committee). In order to qualify, students must provide written verification of their Veteran's status with the Application for Admission. The letter must be signed by the student's supervisor (may be awarded a "Program Scholarship").

For financial aid-related questions, please email the Heinz College Office of Financial Aid at

Answers to commonly asked questions about Veterans Education Benefits can be found here.

A sample of the "shopping sheet" is available here.

Other Veterans-related Information

U.S. Military Veterans and their families may find our Veterans Resources page helpful.

Admissions Ambassadors

If you're a prospective student and would like to connect with a current student or a graduate of the Heinz College who is also a Military Veteran, please email the Office of Admissions at to submit your request (with Subject: Ambassador Request: Military Veteran).